Home > > Frequently Asked Questions
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I need to see my General Practitioner first?
It is not necessary to see your GP before coming to The Stress Clinic. We are a Primary Care Centre. Chartered Physiotherapists, Registered Osteopaths and Registered Physical Therapists are allowed to treat you ‘on first referral’ (meaning without coming via a Doctor) because of our specific high level training. We will refer you back to your GP if that is more appropriate.
Approximately 70% of the time our patients come on self referral. The remaining 30% are referred by a GP, Hospital Consultant, or come through their employer or sports club.
What do I need to bring to treatment?
We need to know about your past and present health. Therefore, if you are on medication of any kind, please bring either the medication or information about what you are taking. If you have had private x-rays taken and have the films in your possession, please bring them with you.
Will I need to undress?
Generally, the answer to this is yes. Depending on the treatment e.g. reflexology - we may well still need to examine other parts of the body for imbalances. Please wear suitable underwear that you feel comfortable in, or bring something to change into. You are welcome to wear shorts/ a camisole as necessary for you own comfort.
Is treatment uncomfortable?
We may have to examine and treat areas of the body that are tender and therefore sensitive to touch. The techniques we use should not generally cause or amplify the pain that you have come with, but sometimes there may be discomfort when sensitive areas are treated.
Will there be after - effects to massage treatments?
It is not uncommon to feel sore or stiff after treatment, sometime in the following 24 hours as people vary in the way they respond to treatment. Frequently, a hot bath or gentle movement such as walking around or stretching will ease any after-effects. Your practitioner will advise on what is best for you at the end of the treatment. Often these after-effects are the result of muscles or joints having been stretched for the first time in days, weeks or months, and may feel like you have done unaccustomed exercise
How long does treatment take?
When you first consult one of our practitioners, your consultation will usually last 45-55 minutes. If you need further treatment, the session will usually last 45 minutes.
How many treatments will I need?
This will vary on the nature of the problem; what factors have contributed to the problem and how long it has been there. Treatment may well help to accelerate your recovery; however, how you manage your problem will also have a bearing. Therefore, some people only need to visit once, while others may need many treatments. Your practitioner should give you an assessment of how much treatment is likely to be required at your first appointment. Most straightforward presentations require between 1 and 3 visits. More complex problems may take more sessions.
Do I need to make an appointment to use the massage chair?
To book a massage chair session, 1 days notice is recommended. Sessions are 15 minutes and cost €15.
What is your cancellation policy?
If you need to cancel an appointment, allow 24 hours notice of cancellation so that we can offer appointment time to another patient who may be in need! Patients who fail to attend their appointment without giving more than 24hrs prior notification may incur a cancellation fee.
Covered by Health Insurance Policies?
Our Osteopathy, Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy services are eligible for refund with VHI, Quinn, Aviva and the Hospital Saturday Fund among others (however we do advise you to check your policy in case of additional terms and conditions). Reimbursement rates vary depending on your policy.
How do I pay?
Payment is by cash payable at the end of each session. Unfortunately we do not currently have card facilities.